13 Feb How Much Do You Know About Peru?
Written by Lies Vervloet and Liam Walke, Peru: Amazon Adventure Program Leaders.
What do you really know about Peru? We’re here to put your brain to the test! Hint: The Emperor’s New Groove is not – we repeat, NOT – a reliable source of information!
Prepare to be pleasantly surprised for Peru will blow you away…
Peru is the ultimate traveller’s adventure. Which UNESCO World Heritage Site can you visit here?
- Machu Picchu. Duh, everyone knows that!
- Actually, it’s the beautiful historic centre of Lima.
- Parts of the Amazon are definitely on the World Heritage Sites list. I mean, how could they not be?
- All of the above. And so many more.
Peru is the ultimate culinary adventure. Peruvians love their food! Which typical dish would you try?
- Ceviche: this sea food dish actually has its own national celebration day!
- Cuy: yes, it’s true, guinea pig is a delicacy here!
- Lomo saltado: a delightful fusion with Asian food, thanks to the many Chinese immigrants that live in the country.
- All of the above. Even my taste buds are about to discover a whole new world!
Speaking of flavours, which drink is typical inPeru?
- Chicha morada: a sweet beverage made of purple corn.
- Pisco: a liquor, especially delicious when sour. But for your own good, don’t tell any Chileans it’s from Peru. They claim it’s theirs.
- Inca cola: it’s a bright yellow sugar rush, oh yeah!!
- All of the above. Waiter! Another round please!
The Amazon rainforest is home to:
- Hundreds of indigenous populations
- 10% of all known species on the planet! Among them are the pink river dolphin, the jaguar, and of course, our bite-y friend: the piranha. Oh, and 2.5 million species of insects. You gotta love the bugs…
- Plenty of green leaves that produce more than 20% of the world’s oxygen supply. Don’t forget t osay “Thank you, Amazon!”
- All of the above. Yes, including the bugs!
Peru is not just about the beautiful landscapes. There is so much to learn! What could you be learning during your Amazon Adventure this summer?
- ¡Sí, señor! Un poco de español!
- All about social issues, history, and life in general in the Amazon, Peru, and Latin America.
- Everything you ever wanted to know about intercultural dialogue.
- Oh yeah, all of the above.
Your summer will be unforgettable thanks to this experience:
- Camping under the stars. On a deserted beach. In Peru. With a barbeque. And awesome people. Did we mention the beach?
- Living, eating, working, laughing, and dancing alongside your new Peruvian friends.
- A boat ride down the Amazon River. Ultimate awesomeness.
- Could it be…? Yes!! All of the above. And so, SO much more!
Yes, yes, we know. You’re dying to find out the answers. But there really is only one way to find out and it’s not Google! You’ll just have to come and experience it all with us. Don’t miss out!